Wednesday, August 25, 2010

GREEN EATS: Kale the Super Greens



I've been eating kale since I was a kid, but it wasn't until after college when I embarked on a vegetarian diet that I realized the "power" of kale. The nutritional value of kale is what makes it a super green. Kale greens are loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, fiber, Potassium, Calcium and other necessary minerals. Not everyone likes to or knows how to prepare kale. It's one of the heartier greens that doesn't soften up quickly like spinach, during cooking. For years I washed my bunches of "curly" kale and just dropped them in a pot of water, along with onions and garlic powder. Now I like to "activate" the good taste and nutrition of the greens by either eating them raw (along with chopped onions, carrots and garlic) or sauteeing them lightly. Tonight, my greens of choice for dinner was lacinto kale. Lacinto kale, also known as "dinosaur" kale has a more bumby, textured leaf and is usually a deeper, darker green than curly kale.

Here is a simple, yet yummy recipe for lacinto kale that I prepared tonight.

Luscious Lacinto Kale
Makes 1-2 servings

5 lacinto kale leaves (washed)
1/4 cup water
1 tbs apple cider vinegar ( I use Braggs)
1 garlic clove
1 tsp EV olive oil
1 tsp Mrs. Dash table blend (or other unsalted seasoning blend)

Wash and rinse lacinto kale leaves. Cut the stems. Chiffonade your kale greens (stack the leaves, roll them up, then cut them into long, thin strips). Place greens in a skillet on stovetop. Add 1/4 cup water followed by 1 tbs apple cider vinegar. Chop 1 garlic clove and sprinkle over greens. Season greens with Mrs. Dash table blend or other unsalted seasoning blend. Turn stove on to low. Cook greens on low heat. As your greens begin to cook, add 1 tsp olive oil (if you prefer, you can add the oil after the greens have cooked). With your cooking utensil, mix and saute greens for 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook. Greens should still have a slight crunchiness, yet be well immersed in the apple cider, olive oil and water mix. Serve warm. Enjoy!

1 comment:

MsGanges506 said...

I love kale but I never tried the lacinto variety before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I had kale last night. I've been fighting off a summer cold and a co-worker said to make some greens and drink the juice (broth, I guess.) I don't drown my veggies, but I ate some kale. I woke up feeling a little better this morning. I'm not at a hundred percent yet but I don't need that as an excuse to eat more kale today. LOL!