Sunday, June 22, 2008

GREEN HEALTH: Ways to beat the summer heat!


The summer season can be relaxing, fun and entertaining for some, or a hot, sticky, bothersome season for others. There are a number of ways in which you can stay cool and healthy during the summer, while also saving energy in your home.
    TIPS FOR STAYING COOL IN THE SUMMER
  • When it is especially sunny outside, during the daytime, I close my blinds in the living room so that it stays cool.

  • If I use the air conditioner I turn it on just long enough to cool the place, and then to save energy (and to keep from getting too cold), I turn the air off.

  • I try not to use a curling iron or other heating tools on my hair when it is very hot. These tools use up alot of energy and with a full head of hair like mine, my hair may frizz out anyway. In this case I opt for my favorite "air dry" hairstyles.

  • On a hot day, my kitchen and living room are usually warm. To avoid heating my entire place to an uncomfortable temperature, I try to cook on top of the stove as much as possible.

  • If you do not have an air conditioner and you find yourself using one of more fans to keep cool at night, try dampening a small face towel and leaving it in your freezer in a sandwich bag for a few minutes. Once the wash towel is nice and cold, rub your face, neck, chest and arms with it. This method should cool you off in no time!

  • Drink plenty of H20. If you do not trust the good ole' tap, try instilling a water filter on your kitchen faucet so that you can drink cool water round the clock and take a bottle or two with you when you go out.

  • Wear sun glasses, sunscreen, cool hats and anything else that will help you enjoy the summer and stay healthy.

Here is an article featuring other tips for staying cool. Enjoy!



Yours in a sea of green,

DuEwa Frazier

No comments: