Sunday, June 15, 2008

RECYCLE & REUSE: Here's How


I live in New York City and here it is the law to recycle. Like most major cities across the country, there is a recycling regime put into place for all residents. Whether you live in a house, a privately owned building, apartment, condo or co-op, it is mandatory to recycle. When I first moved into my apartment a few years ago, my landlord had containers and large cans clearly marked: 'TRASH', 'CARDBOARD', and 'BOTTLES/CANS.' When I dropped my bags or bundles of trash in the large cans in front of my building, I assumed that my landlord and/or building superintendent was recycling. Just a year ago I found out that he didn't always separate the recyclable bottles and related waste for the recycling pick-up. This bothered me. I took the time to separate my trash (only the bottles and cardboard) accordingly, and so I wondered why each week he didn't seem to be putting the recycling out. That's when I called NYC information at 311 and asked them what are a tenants duties to recycle. The representative informed me that landlords/building owners are required to recycle and that they would receive a hefty fine for not doing so. I was like, "Wow!" I knew my landlord wouldn't want to be fined. Just to help along the process, I started religiously gathering up all of my recyclable trash waste each week (not forgetting to do it at times, as I had in the past). My landlord started to see me putting my own recycle bags out on the curb for the city to pick up on Fridays. It didn't bother him, he probably figured I was making it easier on him. I decided I wanted to be more conscious of this process. Of all the things I've accumulated through the years, I thought surely I could be doing more to recycle my waste besides separating cardboard and bottles. That's when I decided to go online and look at the entire list of items that should be recycled here in New York City if you live in an apartment, home, etc.


What I found is that I could separate into a clear blue bag (here in my apt.) the following items and more: printer paper, newspaper, boxes from food product (like the boxes of rice, veggie burgers, cereal boxes), aluminum foil, junk mail, used envelopes, etc. After becoming aware of this and beginning to be more conscious on a daily basis to recycle, I realized I could recycle in other ways too. After I print something from my computer, if I'm not mailing it or giving it to someone, I reuse the other side and print on the same paper again!


How happy that made me to be able to do that. I now include the .99cent little box of clear blue recycling bags in my weekly grocery list. And I even try to use my own tote or reusable grocery bag, If I know in advance that I'm going to stop at the grocery store and shop (provided that I'm not buying too much). Another thing I do is when I'm finished with a cleaning product, hand soap pump, room mist spray bottle or lotion bottle, I figure out another way to reuse it before recycling it. Don't get me wrong, I really don't like to have a bunch of unused bottles. I only have but so much closet and dresser space to store them, but it's worth it to find multiple uses.


USES FOR EMPTY PRODUCT BOTTLES:


  • Spray bottles: try filling it up with water and a fragrant oil to naturally scent your place

  • Lotion bottles: if you have a bunch of product samples such as conditioner, shampoo or travel size lotion try combining the same type of product into a larger bottle and then get rid of the small ones (or only use them if you're traveling)

  • Other small/medium size bottles or jars: If you're going to your buildings laundry mat downstairs or the neighborhood laundry, use one of your empty product containers to put 2 or more cups of detergent in. Now you won't have to lug your gallon of detergent with you


Go online or call your City's information number to find out how you can become more aware of how to recycle and grow more conscious about your home's waste.


Here's what your city may be doing to RECYCLE!











Yours in a sea of green,

DuEwa Frazier

No comments: